Sunday, April 16, 2017

My Grandmother's Birthday Book

My Grandmother's Birthday Book  was a post I read on Michelle's Heritage way back in 2011.

As I am in possession of My Grandmother's Birthday Book I thought it also worthy of a blog post.

My Nanna's book is an ordinary little volume with a dark green cover. It gives me an insight into her life.

Nanna's Birthday Book
The Birthday Book, Links of Memory, was published in London in 1890 and is still available from Amazon.co.uk. It has a religious theme, each date being accompanied by a religious text.






I love opening this insignificant book,seeing my grandmother's familiar handwriting and researching the names recorded. Many of these are her cousins some are residents of Dungog the town where she grew up. The dates in the book have been most helpful as I research family members.

2 comments:

Crissouli said...

I love your grandmother's birthday book.

Birthday books and address books, also Christmas card books, have been invaluable in tracing family members and friends...

I have even rescued some that belonged to my mother's family friend. By just following a few names that sounded familiar, I found a whole branch of cousins, that I had only known as some we visited when I was small. I was never told that we were related.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

There are lots of hidden treasures we can overlook in our research...what a treat this little book is.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...