Saturday, April 14, 2012

Caroline Chisholm

I turned green with envy when, earlier this week, I saw a photo on Facebook of my GeniMate, Sharon Brennan, posing beside Caroline Chisholm's grave in Billing Road Cemetery outside London.

http://image1.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2008/247/27034110_122057179528.jpg
Sharon's subsequent blog post told of why Caroline Chisholm was important to her and why she made the journey to Billing Road. I made a comment that  Caroline Chisholm  was important to me because her interview with my convict ancestor, Patrick Curry, was published in the Sydney Morning Herald in 1848. Having access to this interview gives me an insight into Paddy's life on Camden Park Estate that I would not otherwise have had.

As my blog has a few more readers than it had when I posted the following to a Carnival of Genealogy in August 2010; I will repost it here for new readers to see.


The Gift of the Gab

My ancestor Patrick "Paddy" Curry as an Irishman from Limerick probably had the gift of the gab but, as he died 130 years ago, I never had the chance to meet him.

Fortunately some of Patrick's words were preserved in a Sydney Morning Herald article from Thursday 8 June 1848. This and many other great stories can be found at The National Library Of Australia's Trove website.

For this 21st edition of the Carnival of Genealogy I am posting a copy of that article in which Paddy demonstrates that he had The Gift of the Gab.

Sydney Morning Herald 8 June 1848
 This post has been prepared for  the 21st edition of the Carnival of Irish Heritage and Culture

3 comments:

Fi said...

I think it is so special to have an ancestor's words and be able to get an image of their voice.

Sharon said...

You'll have to visit her grave. It was a special moment for me.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Now I'm green with envy too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...