Saturday, April 2, 2011

Genealogy and Children's Books


I will not be issuing a challenge to other genealogy bloggers to write about some books from their childhood on International Children's Book Day as my last challenge on World Poetry Day was a dismal failure.

Since 1967, on or around Hans Christian Andersen's birthday, 2 April, International Children's Book Day (ICBD) has been celebrated to inspire a love of reading and to call attention to children's books.

In a blog post last year  I wrote "The books one reads gives others a picture of one's interests and adds a bit more flavour to dry genealogical facts. If you are a reader and family historian have you recorded your reading for your descendants?" In that post I outlined the method I use to keep track of the books I have read."

I  will mark ICBD by listing ten of the children's books that I have particularly enjoyed not just from my childhood but from my days as a Children's Librarian, parent and Teacher Librarian.

1. One Dragon's dream - Peter Pavey - an exceptional Australian picture book
2. Ballet shoes - Noel Streatfeild (and all her other books) - Gave a ballet mad girl a chance to share another's dreams
3. The Boy in the striped pyjamas - John Boyne - A modern classic - Read it
4. The Very hungry caterpillar - Eric Carle  Enjoyed with children, students and grandchildren - a stunning work
5. Tomorrow when the war began - John Marsden - Suspense filled plot grasped the attention of many non-readers
6. Dancing Star - Gladys Malvern The tale of Anna Pavlova aslo fuelled a yung ballet fan's dreams
7. Sue Barton Student nurse - Helen Dore Boylston - Probably responsible for my first career in nursing
8. A Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Paterson - Don't know anyone who hasn't enjoyed this one
9. Silly verse for kids - Spike Milligan - Made poetry lessons enjoyable for the whole claass
10. Zoom - Istvan Banyai - Amazing wordless masterpiece

These are not my top ten books but just ten that spring to mind this morning. On another day this list would be different but it represents a few of the many children's boks that have made an impression on me.

2 comments:

Betty said...

Thanks for the list. Gives me ideas for gifts for my grandchildren.
They're still quite young, 2, 5 & 6 but some might be suitable.

Nathan Lindorff said...

on a slightly related genealogical note, my 3rd great-grand aunt married the publisher of H C Anderson. I was quite happy when i found that connection :)

with regards the books, the very hungry catapiller is a favourite in our house as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...