Saturday, June 17, 2017

AIATSIS Map of Indigenous Australia

I buy very few souvenirs when travelling.

When I was at The Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory earlier in the year I saw a map, The AIATSIS Map of Indigenous Australia, that fascinated me so I parted with $9.95 to buy a copy. "The map attempts to represent all the language, social or nation groups of the Indigenous peoples of Australia."

Still in its cellophane wrapper
I just uncovered the map in a pile of my stuff, I hadn't even taken it out of its cellophane packet, I will rectify that. I thought I'd find out about the story of the map so I consulted Google which took me to the
AIATSIS Website and there I discovered that the map is available online free for all to see.  The online map has a 'magnifying glass' circle that you can move around to highlight selected areas. While I prefer my larger hard copy map the price is right for the online version.

Take a look to determine who were the language, social or nation groups of the Indigenous peoples in the areas where your ancestors lived.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...