Sunday, May 15, 2016

The Magic of Movies

My Genimate, Pauleen, has put out a challenge....and I can't resist. Here is what she says :


Things have quietened down since the A to Z challenge so it’s time for a bit of fun with a May Meme. A few years ago I did a May Music Meme so I thought this year we’d go to the movies. Put your movie hats on, look into the past and dredge up your memories…LET’S HAVE FUN!
film-596519_1280 movies
The way it works is this:
  • Copy the questions I’ve listed here and add your responses – short or long as you please.
  • The image is from Pixabayand free to use so share away.
  • Link back to your post in the comments.
  • During the next week I’ll put my own response up.
  • Around 22 May I’ll put up a summary of the posts.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Pauleen for issuing this challenge which required a Blockbuster effort on my part. I did, however, enjoy the trip down Memory Lane. Thanks for the nudge.

What’s the earliest movie you can remember?
The Red Shoes starring Sir Robert Helpmann which I saw with Mum at a theatre in Kings Cross. 
Where did you go to the movies (place or type of venue)?
When I was a youngster we lived in Kings Cross and we had within walking distance the choice of three movie theatres, the Kings Cross Theatre, the Minerva/Metro  and a small newsreel theatre. A short tram ride down William Street took us to the city theatres. I remember the St James, The Prince Edward and the State that is set up for live theatre today. I remember Sydney identity, Bea Miles, who used to frighten the life out of me when she stood up the back of the Kings Cross Theatre eating grapes and spitting the seeds at the audience of moviegoers.

Source: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/35318/photos/112816 by John Gleeson
As a family we went to the Star Drive-in at Matraville a few times and I when I was a teen I went in to the city to meet my schoolfriends. On odd occasions I went locally to the Randwick Ritz or Odeon or to one of the theatres at Bondi Junction.

The nuns at school marched us up to the Minerva/Metro to see epics like Ben-Hur and The Ten Commandments and a couple of Shakespeare ones. I seem to remember  seeing Richard Burton.

Settled in for a Movie Marathon 
The first movie I saw with Mr GeniAus was the Mercenary at the St James Theatre. It was so scary I just had to hang onto him. Once we were married and had children there was little time and less money for movie going.

These days I see many movies on the small screen on aeroplanes. On a  trip to London I will watch about six movies. I've already looked up the programs for my next European jaunt.

Did you buy movie programs?
What movie programs?

Did you take in food and drink (and what did you like)?We went to see the movies, not for a picnic. This habit has continued to the present day. I always have a bottle of water and a tin of mints in case of emergency. I won't say no to a choc top on a special occasion. 

Movies of your teenage years?
Gidget, The Graduate, Guess who's coming to dinner?, Irma la Douce, Muscle Beach Party, The Parent Trap, The Sound of Music, Summer Holiday, To Sir with Love, Tom Jones, I wasn't an Elvis fan. It was a time when I saw lots of movies.

Do you remember how old you were when you went unsupervised?

Very young, about 9. I was in fourth class in primary school and my mother who was working at Farmer's Department Store in the city put my friend Cheryl Firbanks and I into the movies (and collected us later in the foyer) at The Palace Theatre to see a Shirley Temple movie.

Mischief you got up to in the movies?
Me, mischief, NEVER.

Did you watch movies at home?
Sometimes we watched the Sunday Night movies on TV. I remember when Mr GeniAus bought a video player when they were just new, I didn't understand what is was for.  We still have some tapes of movies we recorded off air. When they became available we would borrow movies from the video shop - it was a lot cheaper then taking the family to the movies. We sometimes watch movies on DVD now but we like to go out to the theatre. It's quite a reasonable price for Senior Citizens.

What was your favourite movie to watch at home?
I tend not to rewatch movies or reread books. There just isn't enough time to experience all the movies and books I want to see/read.

Do you prefer to watch movies at home or at the cinema?
Cinema. The big screen and surround sound add something extra.

Does your family have a special movie memory?
My younger daughter knew the dialogue for The Sound of Music, off by heart.

Movies you fell in love to/with?
Tearjerkers and those that play on the emotions. 12 Years a slave, Beaches,  Good-bye Mr Chips, The HelpLove Story, The Railway Man.

Favourite romantic movie theme music?
Can't think of any. I prefer Strauss or Tchaikovsky. 

Favourite musical movie?
The Sound of Music, I had a soft spot for my Dad's favourite The Jolson Story which I probably saw a dozen times..

Which movies made you want to dance/sing?
The Sound of Music, and most musicals - old and new.

Do you watch re-runs or DVDs of old movies?
No, too many new ones to watch.

Do your children/family enjoy the same movies?

Well, I don't like Star Wars or Science Fiction like the boys but I seem to like anything else that the kids recommend.

What’s your favourite movie genre now?
Biographical/life story movies, Drama and Rom-Coms.

Did you read the book before or after the movie?
Usually before but sometimes afterwards to get the full story. I like to read first so the characters and settings I imagine are not influenced by the movie makers' perceptions. Seeing the movies first hinders my engagement with the characters in the book.

Which did you enjoy more, the book or the movie?
Except on rare occasions the book wins.

What’s the silliest movie you’ve seen (silly funny or silly annoying)?
I don't want to give either positive or negative reinforcement to the rubbish that I've endured.

Pet hate in movies?
Tall people who sit in front of me.

A movie that captures family history for you? The Descendants

If you could only play 5 movies for the rest of your life, what would they be?

I would turn to books I haven't read.

Favourite movie stars (go ahead and list as many as you like)?
I don't remember the names of most of the actors I see. As movies are a visual medium I have to nominate George Clooney and Hugh Grant. I love the work of Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren, Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett.

EXTRA, EXTRA
Since Librarything added the facility to record movies in its database I have been recording the names of the movies I see. I am also trying to retrospectively add those I have seen in my lifetime. This activity has helped me remember a few more. So far I have listed these Movies I've seen

I thought I hadn't seen many movies  but, on reflection, I realise that I love the Magic of Movies.

7 comments:

Dianne Nolin said...

I see the movie RV is listed at Librarything as a movie you've seen? That is my husband hahaha!

Alex Daw said...

Good work with remembering Descendants Jill. Of course. And a really great movie too I might add...the first time I have come out of a movie contemplating going to Hawaii.

Maria said...

Thanks for the post, Jill. Enjoyed going down memory lane with you.

GenieJen said...

I'd forgotten about Ben Hur. We also went with school and I was terrified.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Isn't it fascinating how people's reminiscences bring back memories: how could I forget The Graduate, Ben Hur and the Ten Commandments. You certainly had a plethora of choices around you...the joys of the big smoke :)

You made me laugh with your picnic comment....I always have water with me too.

As for your membership of the Mile High Movie Marathon club ... I'd be hopelessly befuddled if I watched that many in sequence. It's usually one movie and two books and, hopefully, a snooze for me. When I used to fly interstate for work or family I was kept very up to date with the latest movies,

Great idea re Librarything...I will give it a go though I use Goodreads more now for my books....just confused ;)

Thanks for joining in!!

GeniAus said...

Dianne - I can't remember that movie - must have watched it on a plane when I was under the influence of sleeping pills and champagne!

Alex - it took a bit of searching to recall the title for the descendants, IMDB to the rescue.

Pauleen - probably the only Mile High Club I'll ever join.

Kathryn said...

Judi Dench, Helen Mirren and Cate Blanchett are all great actresses who should have been on my list. I'm always a bit jealous of people who grew up with drive-in movies because you just don't find them over here in the UK so they sound exciting and a bit exotic!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...