Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Trove Tuesday

I have found numerous references in Trove that indicate that many of my ancestors had an affinity for hard liquor. I was therefore delighted to read of his sober state in a report of an accident my 2x Great Grandfather, Patrick Curry, had along the road near Berrima in 1859.


1859 'BERRIMA.', Empire (Sydney, NSW : 1850 - 1875), 13 September, p. 10, viewed 12 January, 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article60399233
Transcript:
BERRIMA.            
The Goulburn Herald of Saturday supplies the fol-   lowing:--      
A report, was prevalent here, which I, regret to say     turns out to be too true, that a young man, named Patrick Curry, junior, of Camden, son to Patrick Curry,
senior, an old and very much respected colonist of the same place, met with a very, serious accident on his way from Sydney, where he had been for loading, by the wheel of his dray passing over his body. The medical man in attendance has but very little hopes of his recov- ery. This is one of the instances in which accidents of this nature cannot be attributed to intoxication, for I have been informed the young man was perfectly sober.
I am pleased to report that Patrick must have recovered as he lived until 1896 when his cause of death was Liver Disease!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...