Friday, October 9, 2015

Aussie Images

As I cast around for images to use on my blogs and in presentations I want to respect copyright.

State Records NSW recently posted on Facebook some images  from the series NRS 15051 School photos. Of course I followed their link and  found some charming old images of  schools my parents attended.  I then did a further search for some family related towns and localities via The Photo Investigator Search and found a load of images that would enhance my writing.

When I saw the note "Reproduction rights: State Records NSW"  on the images I thought "Oh, bother" I can't use them legally.  Then I noticed at the bottom of the pages a Menu item "Copyright". I am so pleased that I followed the link.

I'm no lawyer but after reading their Copyright statement I believe I can use the above mentioned images if I append the description required by State Records NSW ie "© State of New South Wales through the State Records Authority of NSW".

You can read the Copyright Statement for yourself here http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/about-us/copyright-policy.

I am enhancing this post with a photo from the collection. I chose it because it is of a family group  in a rural setting going to school in 1929 and that is how my father and his siblings travelled to school at Bangaroo about that time. It would be perfect to illustrate a post about the Curry Children's school days.

This photo is described thus on the website:

Burdett Public School - members of Sid Nash family leave for school

Digital ID:15051_a047_002044.jpg Date:c. 31/12/1929
Format:Black and white photograph Size:160 KB
Source:Item held at State Records NSW Rights:Reproduction rights: State Records NSW

© State of New South Wales through the State Records Authority of NSW











1 comment:

GeniAus said...

Yes thanks, John. We do need to read the descriptions etc carefully before using.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...