Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Tarting up the Template

Having recently looked at lots of blogs and noted some of their design features I am attempting to tart up my blog template.



I like my header image but am not fond of the header font I have been using so I will experiment with a more contemporary looking font. The font in the blog description is hard to read and needs to be heavier but I can't seem to do this in Blogger unless I get into the html and I'm not going there right now. I really need to devote some time to creating a custom header in a a graphics program but this will have to suffice for the time being. \I think that the pale blue border background I have is a bit daggy so will go back to the white background I had before the blue and green before that.

I may move some of the older badges from the sidebar to a separate page in an attempt to declutter that area. I realise that I need to add some social media sharing buttons to this area so will explore some widgets for that purpose.

I am off to check my static pages and make sure that the information there is correct. Watch out for some changes.

How often do you give your blog layout and design a health check?

10 comments:

Jane Taubman said...

You only need a couple of minor tweaks to the html for the description line, give me a shout if you want me to show you. It's much better for SEO if you keep the titles in text rather than converting them to graphics.

As you noticed I have just revamped my Family History site using Wordpress with TNG.

GeniAus said...

Thanks for that offer, Jane. I manage a bit of html for my TNG site but am rather challenged. I might just take you up on it.

SEO info noted, thanks.

Shelley Crawford said...

My little project from to update my blog and website's look stalled. I need to revisit it. I'll keep an eye out for what you do!

Denise Barrett Olson said...

Jill, I've spent the last 15+ years poking around in websites - at work and at play - so I'm constantly "tweaking". And, in August in muggy and buggy Florida, it's something fun I can do while sitting under the air conditioning vent.

ScotSue said...

I recently have been taking a fresh look at my blog template and tried various colour options - but guess what? I have gone back to my original. Some time ago I de-cluttered my side bar, putting blog favourites and blog awards/logos onto separate pages and I feel this worked well. I do like the fresh look of my pale blue background, and the Trebuchet font. Meanwhile I am still looking to give my blog a bit of a lift, so might have another play around with colours. Watch this spac!

Alex Daw said...

Hah! We must all be on the same thought path. I'm aware that I need to de-clutter my blog real estate. An idea is brewing in my head that we have a blog spring-cleaning day and that we all help each other. What about I call for people to sign up and then we give each other constructive feedback e.g. One thing/Things I really like about your blog is....One thing I think could be improved/you could lose is....Of course we can ignore the advice if we want to but if five people keep saying the same thing well, maybe that helps us prioritize what we need to work on. What about this Saturday? I'll do up a post now and ask people to sign up in the comments - waddya reckon

GeniAus said...

Alex, I think that's a beaut idea. I have a Society meeting for a couple of hours but will be home for the rest of the day.
On my IH spreadsheet I have notes that might help about lots of our Australian blogs but I will refrain from sharing the "Dog's breakfast" and "awful" notes.

Sharon said...

My daughter works in design and does not like my blog layout and fonts!

I have looked at making changes in my blog too but it works for me. I was worried that my picture background was distracting but I like it! So decided why change but would be open to others opinions.

Sharon said...

Thank you for your suggestions Jill. I have increased the font size on my blog and played with the colour also.

Sharon said...

Thank you for your suggestions Jill. I have increased the font size on my blog and played with the colour also.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...