Thursday, November 14, 2013

My Place

Nadia Wheatley's My Place, is one of my favourite picture books for older children that I regularly shared with students in my days as a primary school Teacher-Librarian.

Starting in 1988 the book works its way backwards through time to first settlement  in 1788 relating the history of one place, which is now St Peters in Sydney, through the generations of children who lived there.


This popular book first published 25 years ago is still used as a teaching resource in Australian schools. The ABC also made a television series around the story, the associated website shows pictures of what the houses from the book would have looked like. http://www.abc.net.au/abc3/myplace/

If you are into Australian history and haven't read this excellent book then it's time to grab yourself a copy.

Picture books just aren't for kids.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...