Monday, November 4, 2013

Another New Toy

Thanks to the members of the Facebook Technology for Genealogy Group who gave positive feedback on the  Fujitsu Scansnap IX500.

I bought one online from a Sydney store and it is running beautifully.

So far I have scanned ordinary paper, old air mail letters on very fine paper, photos on regular photo paper, business cards and old greeting cards. It will scan straight into Evernote, Google Docs, Dropbox.... or into any folder one nominates. This device has so many capabilities - there is so much to learn.

Lots of scanning options
The only item the device has refused to scan so far is a tiny ticket to an event. I thought I was stretching the friendship in asking it to do that but my trusty little Flip-Pal that will scan that for me. This latest toy will not scan everything; there is no way I would put a precious original old photo through the feeder, that's a job for my ancient old slow and reliable flatbed scanner.

What it will do for me is allow me to quickly scan the mountains of paper that surround me and help me along the road to becoming an organised genealogist.


1 comment:

Pam Beveridge said...

Could you do me a favor and see if it has a Webscan option - i.e. put its IP address into your computer's omnibox to see what comes up. Reason I ask is I have only Chrome OS machines and can't download software or drivers. I use my HP all in one printer/flatbed with the Webscan method but am looking for something to handle non-precious items faster.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...