Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Time to evaluate - my social media shakeup

I recently read an article from Chris Pirillo that asked "How much social networking is too much?" At the time I was also preparing slides for a presentation I am giving on Social Media this week. As I looked at the slides I realised just how many social networking sites I have joined.

In his article Chris said "There comes a point where we have to decide enough is enough and eradicate the extra noise. When it becomes impossible to hear and be heard, you know you’ve stretched yourself a little too thin. Pare it down, folks. You don’t need to be everywhere in order to make a difference in this world. You simply need to somewhere."

All of this caused me to reflect on my Social Media Presence. This is where I will be:

Blogger - Essential for my blogging.
Evernote - My virtual notebook where I store and share all sorts of things.
Facebook - I joined to connect with family and friends and I use it (reluctantly) to connect with the genealogy community. I would rather not use it for genealogy but while others insist on using it I will stay there.
Google+ - My social media communication and collaboration tool of choice.
Librarything - I love this tool for managing my reading life and remembering for me what I have read.
LinkedIn - I'll maintain my presence here as it is good to keep in contact with former business contacts.
The Old Reader - My new (to me) RSS feed reader.
Twitter - I have quietened down on Twitter but it is the tool I turn to when at an event and I have something to share
Youtube - A home for the few videos I have made.

I have numerous other accounts and will try new tools as they appear but the above are enough to keep this old girl busy.

Where will you be?






5 comments:

Pam Beveridge said...

Glad you're staying on G+. It's easier for me because of the interconnection of other Google products I'm already working in. Like you, I had to cut out a lot of stuff in order to get things scanned, researched and online, so I felt I'd made progress at the end of the day. Twitter has taken the brunt of it, but as you pointed out, it's great for something in the moment. I like Linked-In for the depth of the posts from around the world, but I don't have a lot of time.

Susan Clark said...

I, too, prefer G+ for genealogy. Though I am active on Facebook, it is much more a social venue.

Flickr is my photo sharing and storage site.

GeniAus said...

I get so annoyed when I read article that say Google+ is a dead duck. It certainly has a strong presence in genealogy.

Sharon said...

I am new at G+ and still haven't really become involved but look forward to learning more about it.

Jana Iverson Last said...

Hi Jill,

I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2013/06/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-june-7-2013.html

Have a great weekend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...