Monday, December 31, 2012

It's all Good

Accentuate the Positive 2012 Geneameme

On a whim this week I decided to throw together a Geneameme through which one can share the positive results of one's Genea Activities in 2012. Some of my Genimates have been quick off the mark and have already completed this challenge. 

As more Genies join in I will put together a list of links to their responses.

Embarrassed by my own slow response I bunkered down in my Geneacave this morning to reflect on my Geneatriumphs for 2012. Following are some of my successes.

1.  An elusive ancestor I found was not really elusive because I didn't even know he existed. An obituary for my Great-great-grandmother, Bridget Ryan, led me to more members of the Ryan family in Australia that included a  Great-great-uncle, Rev Michael Harrington Ryan, a Catholic priest who worked in New South Wales, Tasmania and Norfolk Island in the 1800s.

2.  A precious family photo I found was shared by an elderly cousin of my Father-in-law who we had recently tracked down. Until we saw this photo we did not have a picture of Mr Geniaus' Grandmother, Emily Royds.

3.  An ancestor's grave I found was the aforesaid Bridget Ryan's grave in Forbes Cemetery, NSW. Thanks go to the most helpful members of the Forbes Family History Group who provided me with such a warm welcome when I appeared at their rooms.

4.  An important vital record I found was the death certificate for Rev Michael Harrington Ryan.

5.  A newly found family member who shared ...this question covered in Number 2.

6.  A geneasurprise I received just prior to Christmas was a bundle of old Gowans photos in the mail from one of Mr Geniaus' cousins who was clearing up his brother's estate and decided that, as we have an interest in family history, we should be the custodians of these precious images. 

7.   My 2012 blog post that I was particularly proud of was a series of blog posts for Alona Tester of Gould Genealogy's Family History through the Alphabet Challenge. I was pleased that I stuck with it and managed to complete this challenge. A compilation of my posts can be found here: http://geniaus.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/family-history-through-alphabet.html

8.   My 2012 blog post that received a large number of hits or comments was Family History Through the Alphabet – P is for … Images

9.  A new piece of software I mastered was Family Historian. I can't say that I have mastered it but I am becoming more competent as each week goes by. It was a huge decision to change from the package I had been using for many years but I am proud of my efforts with this new tool. 

10. A social media tool I enjoyed using for genealogy was Google Plus; the quality of the interactions on G+ exceeds that on that other popular social media tool. I look forward to contributing to the new communities feature in 2013.

11. A genealogy conference/seminar/webinar from which I learnt something new was....Why did I ask this question - there was so much learning in 2012? I always learn something when I take part in CGD. I would have to nominate Rootstech as it had just a broad range of topics that catered to my interest in using technology for family history.

12. I am proud of the presentations I gave at Rootstech  Facing an international audience was a huge challenge; I feel that I made a fair crack at my topics while having enormous fun.

13. A journal/magazine article I had published was in Inside History Magazine about Geneablogging. It was fun being able to share my excitement for geneablogging via the print media.

14. I taught a friend how to use the Flip-Pal mobile scanner. Actually I have taught quite a number of genies how to use this great gadget.

15. A genealogy book that taught me something new was Getting the most from Family Historian 5. It gave me great guidance as I negotiated my new genealogy software.

16. A great repository/archive/library I visited was The Family History Library in Salt Lake City. I can't wait to return there in March 2013. I was lucky enough to visit libraries and archives in Australia, the US and the UK but  I got the most value out of my visit to Salt Lake City where most of the Familysearch microfilms are on open access.

17. A new genealogy/history book I enjoyed was Our outback home: memories of Nymagee edited by Dolly Betts which gave me new information on the Pusell family and a picture of outback life in the early 1900's.

18. It was exciting to finally meet so many Genimates as I travelled around going to conferences and seminars this year. Meeting up with these people that I follow online was like meeting up with old friends. I was actually lost for words on a few occasions as I was just so excited to meet my Genimates in the flesh at last.

19. A geneadventure I enjoyed was our road trip from Sydney to Adelaide for the Genealogy Congress and our trip home via Broken Hill, Cobar and Forbes, places where I found more meat to add to the bones of my family history.

20. Another positive I would like to share is I feel so blessed in retirement to have time and resources to devote to my passion for family history. I thank Mr Geniaus for his continued patience and support as I play the ancestor hunting game.




6 comments:

Susi's Quarter said...

Jill, great commentary. I thought about this and a New Years Resolutions and decided I did not need the stress.
I have had some great success via unknown cousins and friends and have helped others in return.

Wishing you the very best.

Celia Lewis said...

It's been quite the year for you, Jill! (and kudos to Mr. Geniaus too for being such a good partner). I achieved quite a bit this year too, and maybe will write something up in another day or three. Happy New Year for 2013! Enjoy.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Congratulations Jill on a great year with lots of successes. May 2013 bring many more!! Isn't retirement, and a supportive other-half, grand.

Sharon said...

You've had a fantastic year! Hope you can keep up the pace in 2013.

Alona Tester said...

It has been a great year for you. Trips to RootsTech and elsewhere, surprise parcels of family photos ... awesome. Can 2013 keep up that pace?

Judy Webster said...

Congratulations on all your achievements, and best wishes for continuing success in 2013.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...