Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Trove Tuesday - Frank Duncan


Already this morning two Australian geneabloggers, Fi Basile and Merron Riddiford, have accepted the Trove Tuesday Challenge.

Amy Houston, in her blog Branches, Leaves and Pollen, talked about her love for Trove and how she was going to document her relationship with  Trove  in a series of Trove Tuesday posts. Never one to pass up a good idea I implored other Geneabloggers to join Amy in this weekly homage to Trove.  As Fi says " I'm yet to meet an Aussie Genie who doesn't love Trove".

Trove has enabled me to turn dry old genealogy into interesting family history. I am thrilled to share the results of my digging in  Trove  on Trove Tuesday.

For my first post I will take a look at my grandfather, Frank Duncan. I have previously blogged about him here and here. I know quite a bit about Frank from stories told by my Mum and her sisters and from photos that I have inherited but from Trove I have learnt even more.

The first item I found was a copy of a photo of Frank and his travelling cafe. Although the entry for the photo in Trove states  "Reproduction rights owned by the State Library of New South Wales" the photo is in my Mum's photo album so I don't think I am breaching copyright by publishing the family's copy of that photo. 


Aunty Lil (now 83) behind the wheel of my Grandfather's catering truck
On Page 8 of The Sydney Morning Herald of Thursday 14 February 1907 this report appeared.



It gives Frank's age and so confirms that the date of birth I have for Frank is near to the mark; Frank's birth had not been reported as his parents never married. It also places Frank in the Cobar area in 1907; Wrightville being a small town close to Cobar. 

From an article published in the Sydney Morning Herald on Saturday 6 December 1930 I can see that Frank did not enjoy cordial relations with his fellow graziers.


My grandmother inserted this notice in the Sydney Morning Herald on 27 August, 1949. She was just 49 when she was widowed for the second time.


It has taken me too long to compose this post because I have been sidetracked as is my wont when trawling trough Trove. If I am to continue posting in this challenge I must  discipline myself to stay on task and not indulge in Tangential Genealogy but it just lead me to my first Trove find on my great-grandfather, Francis Duncan.

8 comments:

Jenna said...

:) LOVE IT!! Catchy Catchy!!

A O'Brien said...

I think I have the same trouble with tangential genealogy - especially on Trove!

Jana Iverson Last said...

What a great post! And the photo of your grandfather's catering truck is wonderful.

Amy Houston said...

Tangential genealogy is right! That is why I started Trove Tuesday, because I just had SO much material and I didn't know what to do with it. And I was struggling to blog regularly, especially with a wedding to plan!

Merron Riddiford said...

I just love the photo of the catering truck...

Kerryn Taylor said...

Great post Jill, love the catchy slogan on the truck!

Tanya Honey said...

I love the slogan Jill. Great photo to have.

Unknown said...

Great post! I find that everyday is a Trove day and use it so much for reference in my writing. Like you though, I often get side-tracked and will also need to establish some clear boundaries!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...