Monday, February 6, 2012

My foray into film at Rootstech

Having just watched my first attempt at a video interview I have learnt that I need to sit on my hands and stop pulling faces. Sitting still is not one of my strong points.

At the Rootstech conference the Official Bloggers were given an opportunity to book a slot in a glass enclosed studio in the middle of the exhibition hall where we could interview vendors, celebrities and ordinary people just like me. There was a very helpful technician on hand to man the cameras and audio equipment.

During last year's conference I was just too nervous to try interviewing anyone but this year I was feeling a little more bold and confident so I gave it a go. As my first victim I selected Darrin Lythgoe, the developer of the TNG genealogy software. Darrin had been very helpful to me last year when I was having trouble upgrading from one version of TNG to the next and I knew that he would be a kind and supportive interview subject ..... and he was.

The video is available on Youtube and right below this paragraph. Be gentle with the hand waving interviewer.

9 comments:

Maggie said...

Hey Jill, loved your interview with Darrin - I think you're a natural, so keep it up! Am keen to get TNG and start tinkering.

Celia Lewis said...

You did great, Jill! Love to hear that accent too. Don't worry about the hand-waving - I do that a lot too, even on the telephone - Some of us are hand-wavers, others aren't, I swear it's in our genes! Looks like you were enjoying yourself. I had a great time at home watching everything I could! Wonderful experience for everyone.

luckyllama said...

Great interview Jill! I didn't notice any superfluous hand waving, and you have convinced me to try TNG rather than my current major advertising and expensive program.

jennyalogy said...

Hi Jill,

You did very well - be careful, or I might try and co-opt you into our Oral History group! :-)

Lynda said...

Really enjoyed this interview. Don't be shy about doing this again, Jill!

Maria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maria said...

Great interview, Jill. Really enjoyed listening to it. No need to sit on your hands, you looked so natural when you were chatting away. Loved it.

Susan Clark said...

I thought you were grand (hand waving for emphasis)! Great overview and questions -- and answers.

verybigkid said...

Great interview. And no more hand waving than Darrin.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...