Thursday, January 20, 2011

An old girl's prayers answered

Just this morning I posted a plea for help and three of my fellow Rootstech Official Bloggers came to my rescue  providing answers to my questions, tips for my stay in Salt Lake City plus offers of dimes to use in lockers and the chance of a meetup.

So valuable is the information contained in those comments on my post that I am posting it here for anyone else who is considering a first trip to The Family History Library in Salt Lake City. Co-incidentally, another Rootstech Official Blogger, Joan Miller of Luxegen, posted her SLC Genealogy Research Travel Kit today.

Thank you all for taking the time to share this information - I feel so much more prepared than I did this time yesterday. And, by the way, Thomas it appears that I have chosen well with the Radisson.

Blogger Thomas MacEntee said...
Hello Jill Here are some answers to your questions! Weather: I find that winter weather in the Western US is much different than here in Chicago or the Eastern coast. It is drier with less humidity and usually when snow falls, it doesn't last very long. Location: not sure of your hotel location, but the Radisson is diagonally across from the Salt Palace Convention Center and 2 blocks from the Family History Library. As for the FHL, there are lockers available but you aren't required to use them like some archives. You can use pens, pencils, etc. I usually bring my backpack with my netbook. When I find a microfilm roll I need, I record it on my iPhone's Notes app and then walk to the drawer and retrieve it. To make copies of items on microfilm, you can either go to a printing station and send it to a printer (for a fee) or download it to a flash drive (free). The printing/copier cards are $.50 each and each copy is $.05. You load up the card (which is reusable) with about $2.00 and then each print is deducted.
January 20, 2011 7:26 AM
Delete
Blogger Randy Seaver said...
Jill, I alomost exvclusively use the flash drive to capture microfilm images. I use the copy machine to capture book page images. I've tried using my camera without the flash to capture microfilm images on the machine, but they are often fuzzy and have parallax. The microfilm areas are fairly dark. The microfilm readers have a big slanted (maybe 15 degrees?) reading surface that make it impossible to take a picture perpendicular to the surface unless you reduce the zoom on the image. I usually try to put the camera against the top frame of the machine. A laptop is fairly bulky and difficult to carry around. I think the netbook would be the best compromise to do real genealogy work and be easier to carry. Have fun - wish I was going! -- Randy
January 20, 2011 11:25 AM
Delete
Blogger Amy Coffin, MLIS said...
As archives go, FHL is pretty liberal in their policies. I'll bring you some dimes in case you want to use a locker. My coin jar overfloweth. I got by just fine with a flash drive when it came to the films, though I made a few copies in the book section. There are a gazillion volunteers to help you at each step of the way. Email or Dm me when you get there and I'll meet up!

1 comment:

Joan Miller (Luxegen) said...

Thanks for the mention, Jill! I'm a newbie to the FHL too so we can find our way together. Hubby and I are staying in the Radisson. Call the room (under my name) or send a message when you get checked in. (luxegen@gmail.com)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...