Friday, January 21, 2011

Follow Friday - Genealogy Blogs - The We Tree Genealogy Blog

Since becoming a Rootstech Official Blogger I have been paying particular attention to the blogs of my fellow Rootstech Official Bloggers. I had already been following most of them in my RSS feeds and my Google alerts highlight pertinent posts in the remainder.

One of these bloggers is Amy Coffin who has, via my blog, generously offered to hold my hand as I make my first trip to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City for the conference.

So impressed was I by a post on her We Tree Genealogy Blog today and the conversation it prompted in the comments section that I decided to make the blog the subject of a Follow Friday post. Not often does a post make me stop and reflect on my practices but this did. The post is typical of the quality of  the conversations on Amy's blog.

Amy asked bloggers to put themselves in the shoes of a little old lady who is not too au fait with technology but who wants to comment on a blog post. I am not going to paraphrase Amy's post Genealogy Blogs: A Comment on Comment but urge you to read it and reflect on how you can make it easy for your readers to communicate with you via your blog.

I believe that "Blogging is a two-way street". Just this morning I was frustrated when I tried to make a comment on a new Australian Genealogy and History blog, the author has not enabled comments thus ignoring the social nature of blogging. Hopefully, as she becomes more experienced with the blogger platform, she will rectify this.

Enough of the rant - please take a look at The We Tree Genealogy Blog - a worthy addition to any genealogist's daily reading program.
      

3 comments:

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

Wow, thank you so much for the Follow Friday recommendation. I deeply appreciate your kind words. I'm so glad the post was helpful to you. It's really taken on a movement of it's own. Guess that's the magic of blogs.

Sharon said...

I have also tried to leave a comment on this blog. I found her latest post very useful and wanted to tell her so.

genebrarian said...

I agree. Having no one respond to your blog, makes you wonder if anyone is actually reading it. Comments also make you reflect on someone elses point of view. I am a people person and like having dialogue with people. If I read something interesting, I'd like to be able to comment on it too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...