Thursday, January 27, 2011

Australia Day Legacy

The dust has settled  after our midweek break for Australia Day. A group of Australian Genealogy bloggers have created a gift for others by taking part in The Australia Day Challenge organised by Shelley from Twigs of Yore.

I had a fantastic day sheltering from the heat in air-conditioned comfort and sitting at my computer reading and commenting on the contributions. We are a small nation with a wealth of history and snd a population that can tell a good yaarn.  Please take a look at the post in which Shelley has collated all the entries that were contributed to the challenge.

My comment on Shelley's blog sums up my thoughts.

"Great oaks from little acorns grow."
The power of geneablogging and its collaborative nature has been demonstrated in the success of your Australia Day Challenge that has provided a smorgasbord of some of the best Australian blog posts I have read.

The stories they tell tug at one's emotions, give a glimpse into the lives of our ancestors and teach us about Australian documents.

Thank you so much, Shelley, for you initial idea and supervision of an activity that is a stellar event on the genealogy calendar in Australia.

1 comment:

Shelley Crawford said...

The response has been great! I would have been perfectly happy if there were half a dozen posts.

I'm so pleased with how it worked out, not only with respect to the number of posts but more importantly the quality of the posts. I was reading so many of them thinking "This is what I aspire to!"

Thanks for participating and for your help in promoting the idea.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...