Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories 2010 - December 8 - Christmas Cookies


Christmas cookies are missing from the list of seasonal food I serve at Christmas time.


Cooking and Catering
A  biscuity item I bake each year is "Scotch shortbread" . The recipe comes via my husband's step-grandmother, Isabella Scott, and was published in "Cooking and Catering" compiled by the Arcadia Methodist Ladies sometime in the 1950s.

As a young bride I was given a copy of this book by Isa who religiously baked shortbread for the extended family each year. When Isa moved from the family home at Arcadia to a retirement village I started baking multiple batches of  shortbread for the family and continue to do so each year.

Isa's recipe was a little short on instructions so I annotated her recipe in the book with cooking instructions dictated to me by Isa.

The book contains many recipes that are still useful in today's climate. I have reproduced another of my favourites below.
A Favourite Recipe
Until I started writing this post I hadn't thought much about the little cookbook that features quite a number of Isa's recipes. I am now going to copy the little book and store the original with my genealogy files as it is a printed resource that gives information about Isa and her activities.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...